Integrated Behavioral Intervention Strategies - IBIS - is a set of behavioral interventions aimed at producing change in offenders. The IBIS approach consists of three main components:
- Motivational Interviewing;
- Effective Practices in Correctional Settings - EPICS;
- Behavioral Shaping through use of Incentives and Sanctions.
While each individual component is heavily based on research, IBIS represents a novel approach by integrating all three into a comprehensive set of practices. The course is designed to teach each professional a consistent approach to interacting with offenders, while at the same time appreciating each professional's unique style.
Participants will learn the research behind IBIS, the skills and strategies involved, and how to tailor the interventions to fit their individual roles.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand effective interventions in offenders
- Apply the integrated skills in real professional encounters
- Prepare themselves for ongoing mentoring and coaching